Parish History


In the summer of 1859 a meeting took place at St. Boniface, the only Catholic Church in Quincy at the time. Father Herman Joseph Schaefermeyer announced a plan to build a new church, school, and rectory at Melrose Township southeast of Quincy.

The pastor told the people at the meeting, "Begin very small at the start and end up with grandeur. If you cannot build a frame church, then make one out of logs".

The first St. Anthony's was 36 feet long, 24 wide with a square sanctuary 12 feet by 12 feet. The first mass was held on a bitter cold December 6, 1859.

Hardly had the parishioners become attached to their new church, when it proved too small. The year 1867 saw St. Anthony's first church drive. The parish pledged $4500.00. The Franciscan Brother Adrain Wewer, O.F.M., drew the plans for the simply lined, pure gothic brick structure. In the summer of 1868, the parish broke ground. On June 13, 1870, the feast of St. Anthony, Reverend Bishop of Alton, Peter Joseph Baltes, consecrated the church.

May 22, 1983, the Feast of Pentecost, was the last Mass celebrated in the church which had served the parish for 113 years. On June 12, 1983, ground was broken for the new church. One year later on June 19, 1984, Fr. Edwin Albers celebrated the Eucharist with the parish family for the first time in our new church.

As of 2007 St. Anthony of Padua Parish and St. Dominic Parish have merged as St. Anthony of Padua Parish. Our parish school is St. Dominic School located at 4100 Columbus Road, Quincy.